Visa Support

VISA - legal support for Expats

Many Expats who come to Germany to work as self-employed here, come from outside the European Union and require a residence/work permit in order to be allowed to do so.

Sometimes it can be quite daunting and challenging to receive this VISA – and the responsible immigration offices in Germany differ vastly in their use and interpretation of the basic laws from town to town (which they are allowed under German federalism to a degree).

Either to save you headaches right from the beginning or to help you when you seem to face insurmountable administrative hurdles, you might want to use a specialized lawyer to support and assist you.  Here you can find some that come strongly recommended!


Anne Glinka is an expert in advising Expats who want to come to Germany as self-employed or who have already arrived in Germany and need to clarify their legal residence status

Anne Glinka is based in Berlin and catering to Expats who need legal advice for their VISA affairs since 2002. 

Anne offers general advice for “Ausländerrecht”, i.e. the law that governs the issue and prolongation of Visa for Expats in Germany.

Whether you have already been and lived in Germany and seek a permanent residence permit or are planning to move to Germany as a self-employed: Anne Glinka can assist you with getting it right.

Especially self-employed/freelancers face a number of challenges to get a VISA/residence permit in constrast to employees, where the process is pretty straight forward.

Citizens from some countries (including the USA, Canada, Australia, Japan, Israel, New Zealand and Switzerland) are allowed entry into Germany without a visa and may apply for a residence permit while in the country.If you don’t come from any of these countries a visa can be issued by a German embassy or consulate in your country of residence. It may also be possible to directly apply for a residence permit at the embassy or consulate in your country

The rules for what you need to get a residence permit may vary somewhat from place to place and according to your status. You’ll certainly need a valid passport, a couple of “biometric” photos, proof that you have a place to live, proof of health insurance and proof that you can support yourself. Other things you may need include proof that you have a critical skill, proof that you are married, proof that you have independent means or a pension, a health certificate and a certificate of good conduct.

soon to come

More legal advice and representation for Expats self-employed !!

soon to come

More legal advice and representation for Expats self-employed !!